Re: [oletrucks] Bed bolting points?

To: oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Bed bolting points?
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 08:11:53 -0700
Shawn Stewart wrote:
>I'm looking for advice on how/where to bolt a 1951 orginal truck >bed to a
>1979 Chevy 4x4 chassis? Since there is not the original >holes on frame to do
>this?  I'm aware I need to use grade 8 >carriage bolts, but at what points do
>I drill through? Thanks in >Advance, no punn intended.

>Shawn (51' GMC 1/2 ton 4x4)

Shawn--

It sounds like you'll need to drill new holes in both the bed and the
frame.  The bolts should go in the bed thru the metal cross sills (I
assume there are metal cross sills on the early AD bed?).  The bolts
must also go thru the top flange of the frame.  So, you'll need to get
the bed located on the frame where it belongs, then look at the bed to
find where the cross sills are...usually the bolts that hold the metal
strips go thru the sills.  The 79 frame should be 34" wide, so you would
need to drill holes about 31 to 32" apart.  Also, make sure the rear
sill (the one under the tailgate) is bolted to the frame...you may have
to make some steel brackets to do this.

Jim