Re: [oletrucks] engine swap?

To: oletrucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] engine swap?
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 08:05:12 -0700
Derrick Messner wrote:
>I have a '59 Apache 3100, the original 235 needs to be rebuilt. >While I am
>waiting to get  this done, I would like to drop in a >newer 250. Will it bolt
>to the original 3spd tranny without any >modifications?

Derrick--

Yes, the engine will bolt to the tranny...but that is actually the least
of your worries.

The engine mounting setup is quite different on the 59 truck 235,
compared to the later 250 engines.  This 235 uses side mounts that are
right at the front of the block. while the 250 mounts are near the
middle of the engine.  You would probably need to use a universal (V-8
swap) type crossmember to mount the 250, plus get the steel brackets
that bolt to the engine, such as used in the 64-72 trucks...and 1960s
V-8 car rubber mounts.  Then, you'll have to mess with the exhaust,
throttle linkage, etc.  Also, you will need the 64-72 6cyl or 55-72 V-8
truck bellhousing, but make sure you don't get the 67-newer 4 speed
bellhousing, because the round hole where the tranny goes into it is too
big.

It's not a very difficult swap, but I don't know if it would be worth it
to do this while you're rebuilding an engine...a rebuild only takes a
week or two (well, maybe a year or two if you've got something slowing
you down, such as lackamoney, lackatools, lackaspace, lackatime, or
toomanychores).

Jim