[oletrucks] 55-59 Suburban motor question

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 55-59 Suburban motor question
From: varanus@phoenix.net
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 13:17:31 -0600
Hi gang:

perhaps I am just obtuse but I find myself asking this same question
over and over again.

I know of at least 1 1957 Chevy Suburban with a V8 and
accompanying V8 vin#, V8 riveted motor mounts and V8 radiator. I
also know of a 1955 Chev Suburban with supposedly the same thing.

My question is thus:
if only the larger trucks for 57 - 1.5ton+ - could be ordered with the 283
(according to my literature), then how is it that this 57 CHEV Sub has a
V8 vin#.

I don't doubt that Joe Shmo could order his 57 chev suburban and
have a V8 installed, after it was delivered, by the dealership. But the
dealership would not change the VIN# nor would they rivet the V8
motor mounts.

If they WOULD rivet the motor mounts, then why wouldn't they rivet
the napco powrpack Tcase/frame cross member and shifter bracket? -
these were bolted on pre mid 57 napco trucks.

Latly, I know that 55-59 GMC Suburbans could be ordered from the
factory with V8 Pontiac motors. But every piece of info I have says
that the 55-59 CHEV Suburbans could only be ordered with a 235. So,
if a guy wanted that 265 or 283 for 55-59, it seems that he would have
to have the dealer install it.

One list member said that these 2 subs mentioned above were
powrpack conversions. OK - that makes sense on pre mid 57 napco
subs. But, as far as I know - a powrpack conversion did not include a
V8 upgrade so this is a moot point.  Unless I am wrong - which I could
very well be.

Please advise.
Eric Pesci