Re: [oletrucks] gear grinding

To: "Brad Newman" <bkn6@airmail.net>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] gear grinding
From: "john r dorsey" <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 12:02:31 -0500
Brad,

If you put the truck in gear with the engine off and the clutch pressed,
will the engine start, or does the starter try and move the whole truck? If
the whole truck moves then the clutch is not releasing. Possible causes are
linkage out of adjustment, wrong trowout bearing, wrong input shaft on
transmission, wrong clutch disc, clutch disc installed backwards, or cluch
disc stuck to flywheel.

If it starts normally then it's on to the second test. Shut it off, put the
transmission in neutral, DON"T press the clutch and try to start the engine.
If the starter trys to move the whole truck this time, it means the
transmission is not really going into neutral. Possible causes are shift
linkage out of adjustment, worn shift linkage, worn shift box on the
steering column, worn shifter forks, or  improperly installed shifter forks
or synchronizers.

If it starts normally both times it means something is binding in the clutch
just enough to spin the input shaft too much to let you engage the
transmission. Possible causes are pilot bushing binding on the input shaft,
clutch disc binding on the input shaft, clutch linkage out of adjustment,
wrong clutch disc, clutch disc installed backwards, warped cluch disc, wrong
input shaft on transmission, misalignment of bellhousing to engine, or
misalignment of transmission to bell housing.

Don't be discouraged by the amount of possible causes, once we know which
way to go there are other tests to narrow it down. Let me know and we'll go
from there.