[oletrucks] Rear main seal replacement

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Rear main seal replacement
From: "Rob Steinmetz" <rstein@sssnet.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 18:05:50 -0500
    Could someone explain how to replace a rear main seal in a 1950 228 GMC?
The engine has babbit-poured bearings, and I am unsure how to take the crank
out without damaging the bearing surface.  Is it possible to loosen all the
bearing caps to allow the crank to move out of the way of the rope seal?
    I bought a replacement rope seal from NAPA for the repair.  Is this a
good quality seal, or is there a better type available?  I don't want to do
this job twice if I can help it.