[oletrucks] Michelin XCA

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Michelin XCA
From: Advdesign1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 07:21:42 EST
Someone from the list bought Michelin XCA 7.50-17 tires a while back.  How do
you like them?

I've been working on a customer's 1955 first NAPCO 3/4 ton.  Turns out he has
the 5.14 one ton front and rear gear ratio.  He was running 9.50-16.5 tires
which gave a terrible ride.  I swapped some of my 7.50-17 bias tires which
civilized it nicely, then did lots of suspension work, even tried a
customer's 235-75R15 tires on it.  that helped slightly more, but tires were
too small.  So my question is, should he get the Michelins which is not an
agressive tread, or go for Mexican made 7.50-17 bias mud and snow tread?
Naturally we are way over budget and I couldn't talk him into 2 sets of 4.56
gears.  The 9.50-16.5 tires are incredibly bad.  Yesterday I put them back on
his truck and my improvements almost vanished.  Steering wheel wants to jump
out of your hands.
Bob ADler