RE: [oletrucks] Michelin XCA

To: <Advdesign1@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Michelin XCA
From: "Eric Johnson" <j.eric1@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 09:10:06 -0800
Hi everyone, I use the Mich 7.50 17 XCA. My 48 carryall handles incredibly
well. (Thanks Gramps) I used some bias tires while I was rehabbing my rims
and I can honestly say the truck was not at all enjoyable to drive. In fact
I think maybe even dangerous. As long as I own this truck I will not use any
other tire, unless I find out that the new 17" set ups will fit/work. I have
only 5,000 miles on them now so it will be quite some time before I need to
replace them. This is the third set of these Mich. to be on this truck. They
look good to me. You can turn the wheel at a stop with ease. They are high
pressure radials 75psi 10 ply. So you can put some serious weight on them.
My truck weighs 5600lbs empty. As far as cost and availability, I traded for
them so there was not an invoice, however I was told that they cost the guy
I did the trade with around 200.oo apiece. Then 3 mos. later an old high
school friend came by who owns a semi truck tire shop, so I asked him to see
if he could get them and how much. Well it turns out he can get them anytime
for around $140. Thats the way my life is. So I would highly recommend this
set up. I have never understood why everybody does all the suspension
changes to get a good ride. It must be the tires. 70 MPH on the highway is
where you really notice how good they perform. Total confidence. If you
decide to use these and have trouble finding them let me know and I will get
you in touch with my buddy. BTW is anybody running a mechanical tach? And
does anybody have their radiator mounted in front of the normal location.
Gramps did all these mods in the late 50s early 60s. Just curious.
Eric, 48 carryall w/ too many mods to list (Thanks Gramps)