[oletrucks] residual valves and proportioning valves

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] residual valves and proportioning valves
From: "Joseph Szwed" <szwedj@viagate.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:08:42 -0500
I'm no expert at this but I think most systems use residual valves to keep
the fluid from bleeding back into the m/c and that for disc brakes you need
one with a higher psi rating.  The residual pressure keeps the caliper
pistons out so you don't have to pump the brakes (because there is no
adjuster on a caliper).  I believe that they are built into the junction
blocks on most factory set-ups.  In regards to m/c's that are mounted high
vs low, if the m/c is mounted below the wheel cylinders or calipers than I
think gravity comes more into play as far as the fluid bleeding back into
the m/c.

Proportioning valves are needed if you have a brake system that is not
specifically designed for your vehicle.  Pick-ups with-out anything in the
back tend to be light on the back wheels, so you need less brake at the rear
wheels to keep them from locking-up.

Hope this is of some help.

Joe Szwed
50 chevy 3/4 ton