[oletrucks] Ignition advance

To: "OleTruck list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Ignition advance
From: "Eric Johnson" <j.eric1@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:37:23 -0800
Hi to all, Thanks for the answers to my hei ?s. I've got a couple more .
Does anybody know what the total advance should be for my 56 270GMC. It's no
where near stock. Is your advance charactoristics related to what kind of
cam you have. And is it normal practice to stamp the cam grind on the end of
the shaft incase I need to know that to set up my advance. I'm not sure but
I think my total advance should be 48 degrees, with 24 degrees vacume
advance. Do advance curves differ from stock to high perf. If they are
different where could I get that info. I have set my new dist. up with my
old vacume advance. The one that came with it made my face collapse to get
it to move. My Gramps built this motor himself back in the early 60s in
Burbank Ca. He was a master machinist for lockeed. I got the truck 7yrs
after he passed so thats why I dont know any of this stuff. The one thing I
do know is that if everything isn't just right it leads to total failure.
Enjoy the holidays.
Eric 48 carryall