Re: [oletrucks] Ignition advance

To: "Eric Johnson" <j.eric1@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Ignition advance
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 22:52:22 -0500
Eric.

    The 270 GMC stock advance is 20 degrees centrifugal with another 24 to
28 degrees from the vacuum advance, so you are correct with 48 degrees total
advance, but there are many other factors that affect the spark advance
curve - camshaft profile, piston design, fuel/air ratio, cylinder head
temperature, compression ratio, vacuum signal, etc. If any of these are
different from stock you have to use trial and error to get an approximate
baseline. Spark timing is all about efficient combustion and increasing
torque.

    Most performance-modified engines want more initial advance (stock 270
is 5 degrees). If using domed pistons and an aggressive camshaft, another 7
to 10 degrees will usually wake up the motor and deliver crisper response
and more torque. But you risk detonation if you go too far. Short of using a
dynamometer or dragstrip testing, the best rule of thumb is to increase
initial advance until you get pinging under load, with the grade of fuel you
plan to use. Then retard the timing until the pinging goes away. This will
give you a  stab at total advance but the centrifugal weights in the
distributor, and the vacuum can used, may still have to be changed to
achieve best driveability and fuel economy. Mostly, we just live with the
compromises.

When you realize how many variables go into optimizing a spark advance
curve, you can really appreciate modern electronic engine controls.

Jack / Winter Park FL