[oletrucks] Truck Near Misses

To: Oletrucks Digest <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Truck Near Misses
From: Edward Miller <edngael@open.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 10:39:58 -0800
The bumper sounds nice, and I wouldn't mind having one myself, but I
still figure that if I'm driving close enough behind somebody else that
I can't stop safely if that person slams on his or her brakes (even for
no apparent reason) then I'm following too closely.  Obviously that
requires an even greater gap with my ole truck than it does with my
Trumpet or my Accord, since empty pickups seem to lock up more readily
than cars and motorcycles.  Yes, people pull in front of the space in
front of me, and I just have to back off a bit more.  After all, I'm
really not afraid of being rear ended in my Apache!

Ed Miller
'58 Apache Short Fleetside

Kevin P. wrote:   After experiencing a similar "adventure" in my 1 Ton
NAPCO it was readily
apparent to me at least, that all of the innocent folks managed to
slide,
screech and careen their way clear of the guilty party only to wreck
their
own cars, allowing the responsible degenerate to escape intact.

  Being the "gentleman" that I am, I decided from that minute on to put
that
monstrous front bumper (No it isn't stock.) to good use.  I just stay in
my
lane and allow the guilty party, who generally remains in the lane alone
and
unmolested, to gently assist me in moderately coming to a stop.