Re: [oletrucks] Pulling with an AD/TF

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Pulling with an AD/TF
From: "john r dorsey" <jrdorsey@strato.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 00:00:52 -0500
Brad,

Buy a one ton, add a 5th wheel hitch and go.

Seirously though, the 1 tons were made to haul and pull loads like that. My
1 ton spent most of it's life as a plumbing truck with most of my dad's
tools and parts stock in the back. When it retired from that it was used as
a grove truck, much of the time pulling a drive-on trailer with an
International 0-4 tractor and disc on it. All this with a dipper engine and
stock brakes.

Oh, and several trips back and forth to Maryland with a travel trailer.

As for doing this with a 1/2 ton, I wouldn't recommend it. Even the Disc
brakes on the brand new half tons aren't really made for that. In this
farming community there are a lot of gooseneck trailers and I can't recall
ever seeing one on a half ton.

The main reason I changed over to front disc is pedal pressure, with manual
disc brakes I have to apply less pressure than with the power drums on my
GMC.

That AD with the BelAir behind would have made a nice picture. Too bad
there's never a camera around when you need one!

John
49 3800 Chevy Panel
52 640 GMC Firetruck