[oletrucks] Was ist dieses wort " Ventiplane? "

To: old-chevy-truck@onelist.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net, rstein@sssnet.com
Subject: [oletrucks] Was ist dieses wort " Ventiplane? "
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 19:25:35 EST
    I hope all of you had a happy and rewarding holiday. Santy Claws was
extra good to me this year and I now have a new door latch assembly to the
right hand door to go with the new driver's door unit. Maybe now the doors
will latch on the first catch and the dust will have to stay outside the
truck. It doesn't really RAIN or anything like that in SoCal after all . . .
    Thanks to all that emailed or posted about the "Ventiplane" assemblies. I
must have expressed myself poorly on two fronts. Let me straighten things out
now.
    First, I already have perfectly rebuildable units on the truck now. It
occurred to me that there was a lot of labor and expense in doing this job
myself, and that one of the vendors surely would be rebuilding these
assemblies and have them available at a rate competitive to what I would have
to put into doing this job myself. For example, the powdercoater or plater
will give a much better rate if you drag in a lot of work than if you wander
in with just the one set. Also, the mass rebuilder would have the parts,
tools and required skills to knock the job out quickly. If you do the job
once, you are pretty low on the learning curve -- pretty much a waste of time
if you have other work in the wings.
    Secondly, several people posted or emailed that they were a trifle
confused as to what I meant by the term "Ventiplane." Ventiplane is another
word for vent wing or door window ventilator. The term was coined by one of
the anonymous promotional guys working for one of the auto makers when the
units first came out in the mid thirties. I disremember which manufacturer
used the term, but these new Ventiplanes were featured in the brochures and
advertising spreads of the time.

Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@aol.com
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
AEROMARK - Need Rubber Stamps or Signs? See:
http://www.aeromark.net