Re: Re: [oletrucks] Was glove box, now over restoration

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: [oletrucks] Was glove box, now over restoration
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 10:13:19 EST
Rich, I think I agree with you; must've done a bad job explaining myself.

Again, with my definitions coming from the Vette world,  "over restoration"
is doing things to a level of perfection that would never be seen in
off-the-assembly line vehicles--"restoration" is doing things as it would've
come off the assembly line (which does include the assembly marks, etc.).
When done "as it was done" on the assembly line, various places of overspray
should be a natural artifact.

An example of over restoration would include evenly and completely painting
an intake as a separate piece when for "correct restoration" it would have
been bolted to the engine with a cardboard piece set temporarily over the
carb hole and then the whole engine with intake painted causing incomplete
painting of the intake manifold around the carb base where the cardboard was.

Noncompliance throughout a restoration with this seemingly trivial/silly
kindof thing can cost a show place on an otherwise very nice Corvette and
affect the value of the car by thousands of dollars.

And yes, I suppose I've been corrupted in my definitions by my association
with the Corvette crowd, but those definitions are definitely moving into the
rest of the auto (truck) restoration world as I know that the Cameo crowd
already seems to have fully embraced them and they were in the 55-57 Chevy
car crowd years ago.

And BTW, I would tend towards over restoration (if not restification) as I
would rather paint the whole manifold so that it looks good (over restore)
rather than do everything precisely correct ("restore") as it was done on the
assembly line.

We haven't heard Bob's definition yet. . .he may have meant the other way
around. . .

Mark Noakes
58/56 Suburban
Knoxville, TN

<<Mark, Bob and All,
I was always understanding that overspray, firewall marks, etc. were
considered restoration, albiet zealous. Over restoration was when you look
at head bolts and all the bolts align (by using thin washers), which would
probably never happen in an actual vechicle. Show judges however like the
cleaner look and often award more points which drives me crazy.

Rich Kinas >>