Re: [oletrucks] Axle seal surface.

To: "Kevin D. Pennell" <oletwuk@fastrus.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Axle seal surface.
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 20:10:26 -0800
Hi Kevin,

I'd take it to a welding shop and ask them if they could build up a matching
alloy.  Maybe a hard surface rod would do.  If so, you could then take it to
a machine shop and have them grind it back to the spec.

A welder I know did something like this.  He bought a welder at an Army
Surplus sale.  The welder was ok except for the old Hercules flathead
engine, which had a leaky waterpump, and too obsolete for replacement parts.
The waterpump shaft was steel and had been corroded over the years by the
water.

My friend got some brazing rod, built up a nice non-corroding surface, had
it machined smooth, put ot all back todether, and it worked fine.  Not a
weight bearing surface like your axle, so brass won't do for you, obviously,
But hard surfacing rod might be just the thing.

Regards,

Grant S. gls@4link.net

>There is a raised highly polished surface (about an inch in length) on the
>axle shaft where the oil seal seats against it.  I grenaded a Rzeppa (CV)
>Joint which allowed the axle to "settle" in the housing (this is a NAPCO
4x4
>front drive axle.)

:  Is there a way to "metalize" this