[oletrucks] '48 Vs Y2K update

To: old-chevy-truck@onelist.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] '48 Vs Y2K update
From: MKlepp4335@cs.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 19:31:33 EST
First, thanks to all those who provided input in my New Year's Eve stranding.
 I have checked everything (twice) and still cannot make this 235 run more
than a few seconds.  With much pumping and choking, the truck will fire but
soon die.  The real problem is revealed by the large cloud of white smoke
(steam) that comes from the tail pipe.  I'm guessing that the head gasket is
blown, head or block cracked allowing coolant to be sucked into the
combustion chamber.  The one thing I fail to understand is that most vehicles
with blown gaskets and/or cracked castings continue to run, some quite
smoothly.  Mine will bearly fire and only run briefly.
Believe when I say I have checked and redone everything.  I guess my last
resort is to pull the head and see if I can locate the problem.  This is very
frustrating since I consider myself a fair wrench and have built and repaired
many different type motors in the past.  Any more things I should check
before I jerk the head?  I heard Dan Rather talking about global warming on
the news tonight, what do you think?  Thanks.
Mike Klepp
'48 3100
Wichita Falls, TX