Re: [oletrucks] Fwd: Painting ?

To: <miq@teleport.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Fwd: Painting ?
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 19:38:45 -0800
Hi Deve:

I gotta hand it to you bro, when you do it, you do it right.  I usually just
paint in the a.m. when the wind isn't too strong and there isn't too much
dust in the air.  With all the prep you've done, everything should come out
real nice.

Since you're not familiar with the gun, I'd spray some scrap metal or wood
to adjust the gun and get a feel for it.  Shoot some cleanup thinner first
so you don't waste expensive paint.  Tweak the air knob and nozzle to adjust
the spray pattern.  Notice how it comes out on the test piece.  Should be an
even vertical pattern.  Once it feels comfortable, try a little paint and
then go.

>> 1) Do you fill the sprayers canister completely to the top?

No.  No more than 2/3, 3/4 tops.

>> 2) How far away do you hold the sprayer from the work?

About 8 inches.  You'll know if you're too far away, because the paint will
be dry when it hits and will look grainy.  Too close and you'll get globs
and runs.

>> 3) How long a stroke do you take?

Try to paint in straight lines with 50% overlaps. Start spraying before the
workpiece and try not to stop until you're past the end.  Hold the gun at 90
deg. to the surface of the piece, and try not to follow the contours (i.e.
don't spray a circle around the wheel well, just go in straight lines.)

Shoot a couple of thin coats instead of one thick one.  Primer dries real
fast, but give it a little time between coats.  You can tell by the sheen
getting dull when it's ready for another coat.

Most importantly, don't fret if you don't follow these rules.  You're
shooting primer on parts people won't see, and which were originally painted
with a lot less care than you're going to use.  Since you're going to shoot
a sanding coat, any goofs will sand out.

>> 4) When doing the underside of the frame (which is really the top since I
>> will be turning it upside down to spray) how much upside down can I tilt
the
>> sprayer before it stops working properly?

If you're using a gravity feed gun, you're limited to about a 60 degree
angle.  Pressure feed guns will shoot in any position, but if the reservoir
is attached to the gun, you don't want the paint to get into the air
pressure valve.  That's why you only fill 2/3 to 3/4 full.  If the gun is
connected by hoses, you can shoot in any position.

>> 5) When setting the frame on saw horses, there will be 4 - 2 inch areas
that
>> have no primer on them because the sawhorse covered it. How do you handle
>> that? Especially when you have a time limit before applying the next
>> coating?

The primer dries really fast.  Just shoot a coat or two, let em dry 10 or 15
minutes, move the bucks and shoot the holidays.  Repeat as needed.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Grant S. gls@4link.net