Re: [oletrucks] Oil Pressure Problems?

To: "Terry Stellman" <STELLMAN@noex.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Oil Pressure Problems?
From: "Lonnie L. Dickey" <mdickey@silverback.gorilla.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 17:31:00 -0600
Terry,

  Funny you should mention this. I just built a 'new' 4-bolt main 350, which
I stroked and bored to get 383ci. I almost had a 'BIG ONE' when I fired it
up and had what appeared to be 0 (ZERO) oil pressure. I shut it down and
checked all my notes. I too had good to minimum readings on my plasti-
gauge. I was running 10-40w oil and a new 'high volume' oil pump. I had
even primed the engine before I had lowered it into the truck. STUMPED?!

  In desperation after all my checks I put a seasoned Melling High Volume/
High Pressure pump in and fired it again. This one had performed with
excellent results on the previous engine. The pressure was STILL hovering
around the zero mark. Now I was REALLY worried and concerned for my
heavy investment in crank, pistons,rods,etc!

  I worked on it into the morning. (The wife was upset.) I had probed
everything
I could reach. I couldn't find anything which make sense. I purchased a
genuine GM Corvette High Volume/High Pressure pump. (Cachingggg! The sound
of dollars racing out of my account?) I installed the new pump. I used a
flash light
and again looked into every area of the top and bottom of the engine I could
after
removing pans, etc.

  Then while getting ready to put the lower pan on I noticed it had a small
wad of
metal in the bottom.  It had apparently fallen from the engine to the oil
pickup and
then into the pan.  I did some more searching and fount two other smaller
bits
of waded up metal.

   Apparently these "doer's of damage" had been wedged in one of the oil
passages
between the pump and the pressure gauge tap. Horrors! I had missed them. I
found
no place in or around the engine which was missing any metal. I can only
assume
that they had been in the engine when I received it from the machine shop. I
know
the machine shop guys. They would not have allowed this if they had known
anything
about. We had all missed the trapped bits of metal.

   I am still using the Corvette pump. When cold I get 40lbs of pressure.
When hot
and idling I get about 5-6lbs of pressure. This is still alarming but I
checked and
these are the same readings as documented in the tech book for the
Impalla/SS.
I expect to pull the oil pan and do some more probing with a tiny magnet on
telescoping rod. I believe there may still be some foreign matter trapped.

Good luck,
Lonnie

PS My good Melling pump did 40lbs when hot and idle and 60lbs when hot
      and off idle. This is good except it is such a high pressure it seems
      find ANY small opportunity to leak.