RE: [oletrucks] Rear end question

To: "Charles Culver" <sculver@iwl.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Rear end question
From: "Kevin D. Pennell" <oletwuk@fastrus.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:24:24 -0500
Hi all,

  Figured that I'd let you know that we really did survive the "Millennium
Evolution", though we didn't stay locked in the truck for the scheduled
time...  (The dog passed gas and the air scrubbers really did NOT work as
advertised...  I lit a cigarette, and blew the doors off the truck.  Well,
everyone's hair should grow back eventually!)  Whilst contemplating a "We
Survived the Millennium" post, I made the astute observation that "rear end"
questions still need to be answered.  So, here's an update on my quest for
"55" instead.

  The 60-something through early 70-something drop out differentials are in
fact a direct bolt in to our corporate 3/4 and 1-Ton axle housings.  The
axles are 30 spline however, and ours are 17 spline.  I've confirmed the
differential bolt in, but have NOT discovered if the secret 1/2 inch chop on
a 30 spline axle will work in our housing.  My dull hacksaw blade just
wouldn't cut the mustard, but my finger should heal up pretty quick.  Then
one of my less than stellar neighbors (male) decided that the axles would
make a great early Valentine's Day gift to his 2nd cousin (female) who owns
the local pawn shop.  Go figure... (It's O.K. though, it's true love.
Wait'll you see what they get from me for a wedding present! Hehehe!)

  Someone had suggested trying to swap out the spider gears to use the
original 17 spline axles.  I haven't tried that, as my budget, and my axe
wielding "better half" won't let me play. (Pout... I think she's still a bit
hostile about the loss of hair thing.)  For now, I'll have to wait to hit
the lotto to try that experiment. (Or-- Perhaps if some industrious old
trucker might have the resources and would share their experience....)

  BUT---  I have learned that some as yet unknown (Super Top Secret Project
at this point) manufacturer (O.K., I promise NOT to tell anyone if you all
don't!)has begun manufacturing Ring & Pinion sets to fit the early 3/4 and
1-Tons in a 3:90 to 1 ratio.  Should retail for about $400.00 a set.  I
spoke with Art Houser (http://www.rearman.com) this morning concerning
these.  He has a line on them and asked me to call in another month or two
for availability.

  There IS hope!

Yours,
Kevin P.