[oletrucks] Rear end question

To: Oletrucks Digest <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Rear end question
From: Edward Miller <edngael@open.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 22:54:09 -0800
Hi Grant and Kevin P.,

I'm not an axle guru either, but I do have a half ton and had to replace
the pumpkin and one axle.  Kevin, you got almost everything right as far
as I could tell, talking about the half tons, with the following points
that I've found different:

On half tons the differential -- they call them "pumpkins" around here
-- is removed through the front of the axle housing, not the rear.  So I
guess they're also "drop out" units, like the 3600 and 3800's.

The half ton also has a round inspection cover on the rear of the
housing that has 10 bolts.  Actually I always thought the heavier duty
rear ends had more bolts, but I've never looked at one.  I've read in
the LMC catalog that a posi rear end inspection cover looks different
than the tractionless version.  (I'm sure there's a better term, but
probably not a more descriptive one....)

If the secret 3.90 rear for a 3/4 ton becomes available, I would be
interested.  Probably can't afford it, but it would definitely make me
more likely to want a heavier duty truck.  I already have the 10-leaf
extra heavy duty 3/4 ton springs on the back, came with the truck when I
bought it, that I over-load with firewood annually.  I need to replace
them.  But later,
Ed