[oletrucks] Y2K Vs '48 Chevy

To: old-chevy-truck@onelist.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Y2K Vs '48 Chevy
From: MKlepp4335@cs.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:48:37 EST
  Well, the problem of the white smoke (steam) out the tail pipe and poor
running is finally solved.  After removing the head and not really finding a
"blown head gasket," I took the head to my favorite machine shop to check for
cracks.  Low and behold, this thing was warped - .014" off from true!  One of
the worst they had seen he said.  No wonder it would not seal.  Well, they
machined it true for me (only $30) and it will be putting her back together
this week.  Hope to have her running by the weekend.
  I bought this "848" head off the shelf (rebuilt) at my local parts store
when I found out my original head was cracked during rebuild.  Could it have
been warped before I installed it?  I assumed the rebuilder checked it for
true during rebuild.  The reason I ask, this engine has never run hot.  160
degree thermostat and even on days of 100+ degrees, she never went over 180
on the gauge.  Has anyone else seen a head this crooked?
  BTW, thanks for all the super ideas during the hair-pulling time I spent
trying to figure this thing out.
Mike Klepp
'48 3100
Wichita Falls, TX