Re: [oletrucks] gas gage info

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] gas gage info
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 20:43:04 -0700
The resistors used on just about all the GM gas tanks I've messed with,
on cars and trucks from the late 30s to the late 70s, have the same type
of resistor...physically, at least.  The resistance changed from 30 ohms
to 90 ohms sometime in the 60s.  So, if you can find any GM 70s vintage
sender, the resistor should work with a 90 ohm type gage.  It does take
some careful tinkering to swap the resistor, including soldering the
flat "wire" that connects the resistor to the screw or snap on
terminal.  But, it can be done, so look into it.

Jim

_-_-_---------------------------------------
You wrote:

Sorry for all the confusion - I'm also using a new set of gauges and the
gas
gauge is 90 ohm.  I would have used the sending that came with the tank
but
I couldn't get it to work.  It was rusty and even though it was making
contact with the rheostat there must be something else wrong with it.  I
guess I could price a new one from GM (if they are still available) -
that
might be easier than modifying the tank if they aren't too expensive.

Bob Welch
'56 Cameo
'55 Belair