Re: [oletrucks] Gen. - Alt. / Points to electronic

To: gls@4link.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Gen. - Alt. / Points to electronic
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 13:20:12 EST
In a message dated 1/29/00 9:28:05 AM Pacific Standard Time, gls@4link.net
writes:

> Hi Mike,
>
>  Well, I don't mean to be preachy about any of this.  It's a free country,
>  and you should do what makes you happy.  I was just talking to Jim Forbes
>  about putting a 454 in my orphan '55 1st (but only because it's a basket
>  case being revived.)  And when you get all your changes made, I'll drive up
>  there and wear you out admiring them.
>
>  But for me, a major part of the fun of having an old truck is having an OLD
>  truck.  I like my stock '54 with all (well... most) of its deficiencies and
>  idiosyncrasies.  If I didn't like doing little jobs like changing points, I
>  wouldn't have it.   Actually, it will be several years until changing
points
>  is the most taxing thing I have to do to it.
>
>  The point of my original message was to gently suggest that HEI is not the
>  only way to go in improving the stock ignition, that the Mallory Dual Point
>  is out there and works great, and that, if such things interest you, it is
>  perhaps more appropriate to the period.
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Grant S. gls@4link.net

  Hi Grant,

  What part of the West Coast are you in?  I can also show you what a BBC
looks like in a '57 Chevy for ideas if you want.  I realize the frame is
wider than yours, but my Dad did most of the work putting it in about 25
years ago, long before and kits were available, might give you an idea for
your '55-1 install.

  The HEI thing with me is more of a convienence now, as Bob ADler mentioned,
anything I can do to speed up the process of keeping mine on the road, I'm up
for.

  I've got too many "projects", and two small girls that just love to help
Daddy out when he's doing anything, don't know if I'd have the patience to
change points on the '59 with my 5YO sitting on the valve cover and the 3YO
climbing up my leg.

 Funny thing is my wife sends them out to "help" me work on things while she
does some things in the house, because she can't get anything done with them
running around.

  I'm multi-talented though:)

  Mike