RE: [oletrucks] Jump starting with a 12 volt

To: "'Dick Byrne'" <lindalnhvt@sugar-river.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Jump starting with a 12 volt
From: "Jim House" <jhouse@ccsolution.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 21:55:17 -0500
Dick,

Hi Neighbor..  Did you vote today?

I have asked the same question a few times.  For the most part I have
received the answer from no to go.  Most of the time what I wanted to hear
was go.  So I noticed that ALL of the older guys I ask all say OK.  However,
they also told me to just connect to jump, do not crank over 10 seconds and
disconnect as soon as it is running.  I have been following these rules
without problems.

Also, since I am new to this and only have a 12 volt charger I wondered if
it was ok to use to charge a 6 volt battery.  This time I asked three
electrical engineers. They all said ok if I use the trickle charger setting
(2 amps) and do no connect for over 5 - 6 hours.  Also I could a heat sink
(?) that would decimate the voltage - but this cost more money and that is
something I do not want to part with.

Now, what type of truck do you have?  I live in Hollis and am looking for
ANYONE in New England doing this.  I am new to all of this so any help would
be great!  I have a 1946 1/2 ton.  I would call it an AD for Art Deco but I
think on this nail list AD is Advanced Design?

I sure would love to get more input on this (battery) topic.

Jim House