RE: [oletrucks] gas gauges

To: "brad kyle" <bradkyle@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] gas gauges
From: "American Classic" <americanclassic@airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 10:57:37 -0600
Brad

This is a copy of the 'Noddy' instruction sheet, that we send out to help
with these problems.
Everybody is welcome to improve on it if they wish........................

Fuel Gauge and Sender hook up.

Fuel Gauge:

This guide can be used to trouble-shoot the gauge or just to provide a warm
feeling that the gauge is functioning correctly before you install it.
WARNING: reversing the connections will fry the gauge

The fuel gauge has two terminals and a ground (back plane/casing).

Connect a hot or live wire to the E or empty side of the gauge.
This can be from the ignition switch, fuse box or whatever.

Ground the gauge. DO NOT USE the second terminal as this goes to the sending
unit and we are only concerned about the gauge at the moment. (If you are
testing the gauge in place then disconnect this sending unit wire from the F
side of the gauge)

We should now have a circuit from the positive side of the battery to the
E(mpty) side of the gauge, through the gauge out the back plane ground,
returning to the negative side of the battery.

THE GAUGE SHOULD NOW READ FULL, if not there is a problem with the gauge or
the circuit. Loose wire or bad ground etc.

Sending Unit:

Assuming that the fuel gauge tested out OK, then onto the sending unit.

Connect the wire from the sending unit in the tank to the F or full side of
the fuel gauge.
The gauge should now reflect how much fuel, if any, there is in the tank.

There is a resistor built into the sending unit such that if the tank is
empty, the gauge should therefore read empty. If the gauge still reads full
when there is no fuel then there is a problem.

Things to check are:
Is the float working?
Are all of the connections firm?
Broken wires?
Sending unit/tank grounded ok?

Take the sending unit out of the tank and move the float arm

Remember that it is the sending unit circuit that that makes the fuel gauge
read back down to empty. Without the sending unit hooked up the gauge
defaults to reading full.

Classic..man

American Classic Truck Parts

Visit our Web Site at www.americanclassic.com
and check out our On-line Catalog and shopping kart ordering system

All the best for the year 2000, another great year for truck restoration