Re: [oletrucks] Gauge Repair & Conversion

To: "Paul Blosser" <paulb@todays-tech.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Gauge Repair & Conversion
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 16:48:30 -0800
Hi Paul.

I just buy a modern gauge of about the same size and needle position as the
old one, drill out the face from the old and affix it to the new, and glue
the old needle onto the new one.  This is really easy in the case of fuel
gauges, a little harder for temp gauges.

On the temp gauge, I remember I had to redrill the ponting holes in the
gauge housing, and I made an adaptor out of wood one time and plexiglass the
next to hold it in place against the gauge housing.  It was maybe a couple
hours work, mostly because of some hand filing to get the mounting hole
square.  It wasn't hard.

The temp gauges are not electrical, so the voltage conversion doesn't affect
them, but if your capillary tube is broken, you have to get another gauge
because they are a vacuum aparatus.  Used originals are $$$, so it pays to
adapt a modern gauge.

Regards,

Grant S. gls@4link.net