Re: [oletrucks] 3 speed on the column gu-roo's

To: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 3 speed on the column gu-roo's
From: Byron Schluter <b_schluter@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 21:06:57 -0800 (PST)
If the shifter is similar to the 47 thru 54's place
the truck in neutral, remove the square cover from the
shifter mechanism on the engine side of the firewall
and observe what is happening when someone moves the
shifter up and down in the neutral position.  There
should be two u shaped forks for lack of a better
description (I'm trying to remember this from my high
school days 20 +++ years ago) that are connected to
the two shift rods going to the tranny.  there is a
tab that is connected to the shifter which slides up
and down between these forks.  If the forks don't line
up squarly this is your problem.  If all the below
mentioned items are in good shape adjust one of the
shift rods until both forks line up.

I hope this helps, if not ignor my advise with no hard
feelings.

My dad had this problem on his (later mine) 53 3100.
Being as my dad (I loved him dearly) had something of
a temper and little patience we had some intesting
experiences with this problem.

Have a fantastic time working on your truck, I hope to
be able to purchase one sometime this year.

Byron

--- Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com> wrote:
> Yes, there is a adjustment you can try but you may
> also have worn bushings
> and linkage that creates enough slop to cause it to
> stick in first. First
> make sure the linkage is solid. What is happening is
> that the first/reverse
> rod does not pull the lever all the way out of first
> before the 2nd/3rd
> tries to go into 2nd. This can be caused by poor
> adjustment and/or sloppy
> linkage.
>
> Grant
>
> "Knapik, Robert J" wrote:
>
> > My 58 will stick in first once and a while and
> > I'll have to pop the hood and pull the upper
> > arm into neutral. It just does this every once
> > in a while - Is there some kind of adjustment
> > I can do? Is it because certain parts are worn
> > and need replacing. Your knowledge Please....
> >
> > Thanks, Bob
> >
> > Bob Knapik
> > *Robert.J.Knapik@Intel.com
> > *(480) 554-5484
> > *(480) 554-6755
> >
> > oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built
> between 1941 and 1959
>
> oletrucks is devoted to Chevy and GM trucks built
> between 1941 and 1959

Do You Yahoo!?