Re: [oletrucks] TF original posi trac

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] TF original posi trac
From: varanus@phoenix.net
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 15:03:25 -0600
>>>I do.  It's not installed yet but it's a Dana PowrLok made for 1/2T
drop out corporates 55-64. I am putting it in my 58 chevy napco
suburban.  Apparently, they are pretty rare and very expensive - I
don't even want to tell you what I paid for mine (maybe I'll whisper it -
also heard that they are premium quality units and

rear ends were used from

46-72. But the 1/2T rears for Chevs were only used 55-64.  There is a
way to get posi/locker for your 1/2T chev by using a dana rear end
from a 55-? gmc truck.  I have the info but it involves cutting shafts to
fit the chev corp 1/2T rear.

On the 6-8 lug drums, I don't think it's possible to swap 1/2T hubs for
3/4T.  The 3/4T diffs and axles are totally different from the 1/2Ts. I
would think that the parts you desire are fairly easy to find. But, I am
not very familiar with 3/4Ts (yet!).

So, I am not sure if your question concerns lockers or brake drums?
One doesn't need the other to function.

Eric

original posi  trac installed or

> have some experience with them?  I started to put the brakes on a 59 1/2 ton

> fleet and found the brake drums to be different from the front -- although

> the front and rear are both 6 lug the rear drum is mushroomed out which

> allows the drum to go completely on.  I've heard that Chevy used the GMC 3/4

> ton posi axle so I tried to get a 3/4 ton drum with 6 lugs but they are all 8

> lug.

> If anyone know the whereabouts of a 6 lug drum for this setup I'd be

> interested.

> Regards - John Sutherland

> 59 Fleets

<nofill>