[oletrucks] Valve Adjust

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Valve Adjust
From: "Mac Kinghorn" <kinghorn@granite.mb.ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 23:17:59 -0500
Hey Guys

If this is any help back off the adjusting nut in the rocker arms somewhat
on all of the valves until you can get the engine to start.  Then, as was
common practice on hydraulic valve Chevy small blocks, with the engine
idling start at the first rocker arm on either bank and back the nut on the
rocker off until there is a very definite clack, clack, clack, heard.  Once
you get to this stage slowly tighten the rocker arm nut down until the clack
is virtually not detectable.  Then with attention to your ratchet tighten
the rocker arm nut down 3/4 of a turn.  This is the way that I was taught to
adjust Chev. small block valves and it has always worked and worked well.
When the clack, clack is heard the lifter is at full extension and this
allows the lifter to completely fill with oil.  I would suggest that once
you have gone around all of the rocker arms on both banks that you let the
engine get up to operating temperature then go over all of the rockers
again, backing them off until they clack then tighten them down the 3/4
turn.  This should eliminate all of the valve noise as well as have the
valves properly set.  Give it a try I'm sure you will find this very easy
and also very effective.

Good Luck

Mac