[oletrucks] Low Fire on #1

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Low Fire on #1
From: "Mac Kinghorn" <kinghorn@granite.mb.ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 23:40:44 -0500
Hope this info will prove helpful.  My 1961 copy of the Motor's Truck Repair
Manual says that the Plug gap should be.035 and that the Points should be
.019 for new points and .016 for used points. The Dwell angle should be
between 26 - 33 degrees, depending on new or old points.

What you are indicating as happening makes me think that you may also have a
bad spark plug.  When you pull the plug wire off of the spark plug and the
plug starts to fire you are dramatically increasing the heat range of the
spark plug.  Each time the spark jumps you increase the heat range of the
plug.  Ie from the wire to the spark plug then internally in the plug, which
determines the actual heat range of the plug, then across the electrode in
the plug.  If the plug is weak you are compensating by pulling the wire off
and making the spark jump from the wire to the plug.  I would suggest that
you put switch this plug with one of the other plugs and see if the problem
now moves to the cylinder that you have exchanged the plug into.  The other
thing that may be causing the grief is the plug wire itself.  Again try
changing this wire with one from another cylinder and see if the problem
moves to the other cylinder.

The problem should ge quite easy to fix and I wish you luck with it.

Mac