Re: [oletrucks] 46 wheel cylinder

To: Passnb4U@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 46 wheel cylinder
From: Vince Kieffer <vk30345@navix.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 11:08:41 -0800
I have done a couple hundred brake jobs in my youth, back in the late 60's. That
dates me....
mostly on vehicles of similar design.....thats all that existed!!! Messy job,
glad I don't do it on a
regular basis any more...
I would take the wheel cylinders apart, pull the caps off the ends, push the
seal's and springs
out, (gush of brake fluid) Check the numbers on the seal cups they should have a
size marked
on them 11/16... 3/4... etc. Wipe out the inside of the cylinder, then take a
brake cylinder hone,
(available at any parts store 10-12 bucks) and a drill and clean up the inside
of
the cylinder, work
the hone in and out but avoid letting it come out of the cylinder (mess's up the
stones on the hone)
any rust pits (usually on the bottom of the cylinder) and the cylinder is going
to leak.
If it cleans up shiny in side, get new seals, just ask the guy behind the
counter
for the same size you
took out. ( you may be able to get a rebuild kit, includes seal cups, springs,
outer seals)
Clean the pistons, springs, and end caps (parts solvent) Reassemble, and bleed.

Note: make sure you can turn the bleeder BEFORE you rebuild, is a lot of work
just to have the bleeder break off when you go to bleed them

Good Luck