Re: [oletrucks] Cylinder head disassembly

To: "Rob Steinmetz" <rstein@sssnet.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Cylinder head disassembly
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:43:25 -0500
>NONE of the exhaust valves would compress using the
> same tool.  Are the exhaust valves held in with something different than
the
> intake setup?

Some GMC's used rotator caps on the exhaust valves. These must be removed
before the compressor will work.

>     While I have the head apart for cleaning, should I be considering
> porting and polishing / gasket matching / milling the head?

I doubt you would see any benefit from port work in daily use. The 228 head
is limited by valve size, not airflow. Increasing compression will give more
torque but is better accomplished by replacing pistons with "pop-up" type.
Milling the head, unless block is decked a corresponding amount,  will
result in pushrod cover holes no longer lining up.

Jack / Winter Park FL