Re: [oletrucks] Re: bolting up a mid 70 suspension

To: chevy1@jps.net, Bob_Keeland@usgs.gov, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Re: bolting up a mid 70 suspension
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 23:46:14 EST
In a message dated 2/10/00 8:22:07 PM Pacific Standard Time, chevy1@jps.net
writes:

>  > A buddy of mine keeps telling me to quit wasting my time and money on
>  > installing sub frames and Mustang II front suspensions and bolt these
>  units
>  > in.
>  >
>  > He say's you:
>  >
>  > 1.  Measure and record the frame width of vehicle you took the suspension
>  > from
>  > 2.  Mark the trucks straight axle centerline on the frame
>  > 3.  Level the truck and place it on jack stand
>  > 4.  Remove the straight axle and front clip
>  > 5.  Weld in spacer blocks in the area the donor suspension is to be
>  > installed
>  > 6.  He recommends 3/16 plate to mount the suspension
>  > 7.  Mark the donor suspension axle centerline "just in front of the upper
>  > shock mount "
>  > 8.  Line up the two centerlines and drill your mounting bolts
>  > 9. You will have to make the mounting bracket for the shock
>  >
>  > I haven't did this installation as of yet but I'm going to install one
>  this
>  > spring so he'll leave me alone for awhile.
>  >
>  > I would recommend the following before undertaking this:
>  >
>  > a) Do some measuring on track width so your tires aren't  going to stick
>  > outside the fenders.  His sit within the fenders and have plenty of tire
>  > clearance but I would still see if their is a difference in track width
>  > between different years.
>  >
>  > b) See if your going to be able to use the original engine mounts or have
>  > fabricate new ones.  He and I install newer engines V-8's and use newer
>  side
>  > mounts.
>  >
>  > c) I would take a magnetic protractor and place it on the upper A-arm
>  "close
>  > to where the shims are and take a reading so when you bolt your unit on
>  it's
>  > in the same relationship "ANGLE" as the factory set their units to help
>  with
>  > alignment.
>  >
>  > He failed to tell me about the bracket needed to bolt on the steering
box?
>  > That would require just a measurement from the donor vehicle.
>  >
>  > You will then also get the benefit of a tilt column if you desire.
>  >
>  > I have seen this modification at several shows also and have seen it in a
>  > few magazines like trucking and I think Street Rodder.
>  >
>  > I have a day off and it's raining so I'll thumb through some magazines
and
>  > see if I can find the article.
> [...]

  You know i've been mulling this over for a few years and always figured
that since newer trucks have a wider frame, it wouldn't "look" right or align
correctly.

  I always like the ride from the A-framed newer Chevy's, as compared to my
'57 and '59, and thought it might be a way to go IFS, disc brake and keep 6
lugs, all at the same time.

  Heck, I gotta take a good look at my Dads '83 Chevy 4x4, it's got a much
better ride than either my '57 or '59 has and it's basically a straight axle
too.

Mik