FW: [oletrucks] Custom Autosound in AD

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: [oletrucks] Custom Autosound in AD
From: "Ralph Linnell" <chevysix@seatac.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 21:20:56 -0800
Although a little more than a little late, I am finally ready to tell ya'all
my experience and my opinion of the stereo conversion and the Panasonic CD
Changer that I had done by Tayman Electric in Florida, as I promised I would
last November. I sent him my stock radio and he completely gutted it and put
in a solid-state stereo in place of the tubes etc.

The reason for the delay is that I decided to put a real sound system in my
truck to go with the new radio and CD Changer. I hastily hooked up the
converted radio and the CD changer just to prove that it worked. All I had
at the time was a pair of small very cheap speakers and since I intended to
buy better speakers I did not want to buy speakers until I got what I wanted
including a 4 channel amplifier. The radio and the Panasonic changer worked
very well "out of the box". The CD changer is hard wired directly to the
radio. The instructions from Mr. Tayman were excellent, even a neophyte like
me, installed the setup with out problem. The 40-watt amplifier in the radio
was more than sufficient to drive a couple of speakers but I wanted a more
powerful system.

I bought a 4-channel amp and four mid-range speakers and four tweeters with
a complete "cross-over" setup. I mounted two mid-range speakers in the doors
and two under dash. The plates to hang the speakers under the dash were time
consuming for me but the came out excellent. The only holes I drilled for
these speakers were the five-inch holes in the doors. I mounted two tweeters
in the center of the dash where the old 6X9 speaker was formerly located
completely out of site. The other two tweeters were flush mounted just below
the corners of the windshield by the doorpost.

I then ran all these wires plus a couple of others through a piece of
flexible plastic covered conduit, down through the floor behind the seat, up
into the covered bed where the amp and crossovers, etc. are located.

I just finished this setup this afternoon and played it for the first time.
I am completely satisfied, elated would be more like it, with the entire
system including the stereo conversion and CD Changer setup that Mr. Tayman
put together for me. I had him setup the two RCA plugs on the radio for
input to the amplifier and everything worked as advertised.

Anyone having more questions can ping me off the list. Mr. Tayman's website
is:
http://www.gate.net/~gtayman

Ralph Linnell

Membership Chairman Inliners International

ChevySix@seatac.net
Http://www.seatac.net/chevysix/