Re: [oletrucks] Guidance

To: "Bartman" <rsmith@nckcn.com>, "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Guidance
From: Bob Fischer <bfischer@utm.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:24:06 -0800
>Sping is just around the corner and I'm thinking of things I can do to my 51
>chevy on my limited budget.  I have an 84 Camaro donor car.  It has a 305
>with 10k on a long block,  new carb and a few other goodies.  700R4 tranny.
Sounds like you have everything you need to make your 51 a comfortable
daily driver. Why not just use the front clip from the Camaro? You'll get
your disk brakes (power) steering (power) motor mounts etc.

I'm just going through this with a 77 GMC 1/2 ton donor truck and our 49
3100. I got to keep everything except the motor/tranny for the labor
involved in removing those two items for the owner. I've used the front
saddle (IFS, power disks, power steering) steering column, shifter linkage,
pedal/mc assy, wiring harness/fuse block. I'm using the driveshaft and rear
axle (64") 3.40:1 on the stock rear suspension (new bushings/shackles) The
existing spring pads where in the right spot, except on the wrong side
(top) of the axle tubes. The V8's usually had 3.07:1 rear gears, which is
great for mileage and cruising, but when I pulled the rear cover, it has a
34/10 (usually 6 cyl)gear set. I'm using a .030 over 283 with flat top
pistons and early power pak heads with 305 (1.84") intake valves and
hardened exhaust seats. I installed a mild  mileage/torque cam and a 180
manifold and small vacuum 4 bbl carb. I'm going to use a TH350 tranny,
since I have one on hand, and it matches the driveshaft yoke from the donor
truck.
This is going to be my daily driver/commuter truck, so mileage is
important. It's replacing a 40+ mpg  86 Chevy Sprint which is getting
pretty tired with 220k miles, and I'll be happy with 20+mpg.

>toying with the idea of a 4 bar rear set up.  I have access to eqipment and
>facilites, and  I'm confident I could build one myself.
If this is a daily driver, you won't need a four bar. Leave those setups
for the racer/pro-street types. Unless you really know what you're doing
initially and want to keep tinkering with the linkage points, use the money
on the sub frame install. If you feel confident enough to build a four bar
rear, you can probably handle the sub assy install.

"Nothin lasts forever except old Fords and a natural stone" - Willie Nelson

http://home.utm.net/bfischer          e-mail - bfischer@utm.net  or

robert.f.fischer.jr@syntegra.com