[oletrucks] Sleeving a 270

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Sleeving a 270
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 20:26:13 -0700
I have a little bit of experience with sleeves, but not in an old 6
cyl.  The 396 I got in 1978, and put in my 59 truck the next year, had a
sleeve in it when I got it.  It was still standard bore, but needed to
go .060" over to clean up the rust in the bores from sitting in the
junkyard.  I ran it for a long time with that sleeve bored .060 over,
and it really didn't have any problems.  I overhauled the engine about 5
years ago, and it's still running with that sleeve in it!  This engine
has powered the old truck down the dragstrip at full throttle well over
500 times...which is probably putting at least as much power thru that
cylinder than a turbo'd 270 could muster.  Of course, if you put in the
correct size sleeve, and don't punch it .060 over, it will be even
stronger...

Just make sure they put the sleeve in correctly.

Jim