[oletrucks] 270 worth a rebuild or go V8

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] 270 worth a rebuild or go V8
From: "Christian Deaton" <gmc594x4@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 22:30:11 MST
Help I need some opinions.
I have the 270 out of my 59 GMC but the PO said it started knocking after 50
miles on a new rebuild boring it 10 over. I have a 283 that is ready to go
but I would need to come up with motor mounts and the usual to make it fit.
A local rancher has already offered to trade his 327 with 202heads straight
across for my 270. The 327 needs a rebuild and is of know benefit to me
other than the heads selling for a healthy prices. Now for the questions.

1. My father-in-law and I have checked out the lower half of the 270 without
finding any problem. Any suggestions?

2. What is the difference in the bore and stroke of the 283 and 327? Is
either better than the other? Is the 327 worth the trade versus keeping the
270?

3. I would like to run the 270 but question the availability of parts to
give it a little more power and shine. What are some places to find parts to
accomplish this?

4. I found a book on the net titled "How to Hope Up Chevrolet and GMC 6
Cylinder Engines." Anyone have and recommend this book?

5. Will the 270 have enough power to get me cruising at 65-75mph running
36-38inch tires with 4.56 gears? I understand that bigger tires with these
gears = lower rpms and smaller tires = higher rpms. I could possibly change
gears but that is costly for both front and rear gears. Plus I am thinking
the bigger the better!!!

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Christian
59GMC Napco