Re: [oletrucks] Help on rear end please.

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Help on rear end please.
From: Wayne Osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 09:25:25 -0500
The only place that sells any replacment ring/pinion set is Patricks...
They sell a 3.38:1 setup for 399.95...Phone # 520-836-1117 or e-mail them
at patstrks@aol.com.. this setup will fit the 55-62 rear ends....wayne

>Hello everyone,
>I was hoping to get some information on the possibility of changing rear
end ratios.  My rpms on the highway are high (3400-3600) if I want to keep
up with traffic (65-70 mph).  I have a 59 Apache stepside that now has a
Chevy 350 motor and TH400 trans.  I believe the rear is the original
(probably has a 4.10 or close to it)and looks as if the the rear case can
be opened in the front as well as the rear.

>My question(s) are: is there a supplier of different ratio ring and
pinions and is there a complete rear rebuild kit.  I was hoping to convert
to a ratio around 3.20-3.50.

>I have done a few ring and pinions swaps before on newer muscle cars and
was wondering if anyone has had experience with a vintage rear end and if
there were any main concerns that should be addressed as compared to newer
more popular rears.