Re: [oletrucks] Help on rear end please.

To: ADvent@thuntek.net, wayne@chevytrucks.org
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Help on rear end please.
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 22:48:49 EST
ADvent@thuntek.net writes:

> theres a few others that now carry that ring and pinion. I would do it, but
>  live at almost 8,000 feet elevation and at that altitude, I have lost a few
>  ponies and don't think my 235 will pull at that elevation. I wish i had a
> 261,
>  then it could.
>  new mexico jim
>  51 two ton dump
>  51 ½ ton

  Don't underestimate your 235, although I'm not a big I-6 fan, my 235 has
pulled Donner Summit, loaded with about 1200lbs truck parts, without a
problem.  This was with the 4.10 gears.

  I've since gone to 3.54's, and can tell I won't have a problem doing the
same thing again.

  The biggest problem as I see it with the 3.38's would be the 3-4 shift and
RPM drops.

  I don't like to wind the motor up when shifting, with the 4.10's I'd be
able to pull well at 1200 RPMs (shifting from 2200 on the 3-4) without
lugging, now with the 3.54's I have, I need to spin up to 2500 in 3rd, before
the shift.  I also have 30.5 tall tires.

  I'd think that the 3-4 shift with 3.38's may require a bit more RPMs to
keep from pulling down on the shift any.

  Whoever designed the 2-3 3-4 split on these tranny's never thought ahead at
all, what the heck were they thinking about 40-50 years ago, didn't they
realize we'd be using these trucks other than designed?:)

  Mike