[oletrucks] Rust Removal

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Rust Removal
From: "Mike Stone" <mrston@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 20:07:49 GMT
Happy Friday Group,
   I know from trying a couple of samples that swimming pool acid, muratic
acid, eats rust off metal like theres no tomorrow. Before I try it on a part
that counts, does anyone have any information on whether it will weaken the
metal, perhaps through hydrogen embrittlement, or some other scary problem?
You can't breathe the fumes and keep your lungs intact, so use a proper mask
and plenty of ventilation, or contain the washing process so the fumes won't
leak. However, the results are impressive, just from squirting a film of
acid on the rust, no "soaking" required. Paint experts tell me that the acid
treatment is OK for paint prep of the metal, as long as all the acid is
removed. But they aren't chemists. I know some of you know a good deal about
chemical treatment of metal. Opinions? I want to dip a front end with
interior surfaces impossible to get to with any brush or tool. Pool acid is
much cheaper than chemical rust removers for use as a dip. It won't do much
on paint. What do you guys think?