Re: [oletrucks]fuel injection

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks]fuel injection
From: J Forbes <jforbes@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 07:10:48 -0700
Brian--

There are many ways to install the factory TPI, so the cost can vary
greatly, depending on how much you can do yourself.  If you can make
your own harness (or adapt a different junkyard harness, or have access
to the right stock harness) you can install a factory TPI for well under
$1000.  If you buy all the parts new, you could probably spend over
$2500.  Realistically, you will need to buy a used TPI setup, which
usually goes for about $500 complete, then you'll probably want an
aftermarket harness, probably a different stock computer, and an
aftermarket PROM chip (the VATS needs to be bypassed), plus you'll need
to deal with the fuel system, which means getting the right high
pressure pump and doing the plumbing, maybe even buying a cutom gas
tank...then you'll probably need to replace a few parts on the TPI unit,
such as the TPS, and perhaps some or all of the injectors.  There will
be some other things that will pop up to surprise you, such as accessory
brackets, throttle cables, coolant fittings, etc.  So, I'd have to put
the real cost between $1000 (absolute minimum) and $2000 (but it could
go higher).  The difficulty is hard to predict...if you do your
homework, and are clever, it can actually be easy to do, but if you're
easily frustrated and don't really understand the system, you can get in
over your head.

I did a swap like this on a friend's 69 Vette, and spent quite a bit of
time overcoming the problems with minimum cash outlay...and it still
cost over $1000, but I learned a lot, and he really likes the way the
car works now with TPI.

Tough decision....good luck!
Jim