Re: [oletrucks] What's a poor guy to do?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] What's a poor guy to do?
From: Bob_Keeland@usgs.gov (Bob Keeland)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 13:01:51 -0700
        Nevin,

                In regard to your choice between upgrade the old frame/running
        gear and swamp to a newer model frame I would suggest sticking with the
        original frame.  My 51 3100 5-window went the new frame route and it is
        a mess.  The body is currently sitting very poorly on an 83 Silverado
        frame (thanks to my little brother).  The frame configuration is all
        wrong and it is too long (needs to be shortened).  When I took over the
        project I decided to dump the 83 frame and pick up something AD.  I now
        have a 54 3600 frame onto which I will install a 1/2 ton front axle (so
        that I can add a disk brake kit).  It will probably (eventually) get a
        power booster under the floor.  I'm also considering the IFS from the
83
        Silverado, but it will be installed onto the 54 frame if I do that.
        Check out the archives about mounting a late model IFS (other than MII)
        to an AD frame.

                My philosophy is to keep it as original as possible while
adding
        just those things that will improve the ride, steering, braking, power,
        etc.

        BobK
        51 '3600' 5-window
        Arnaudville, Louisiana