Re: [oletrucks] GMC Trucks....

To: Rroslowski@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] GMC Trucks....
From: Jack Halton <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 07:31:35 -0500 (EST)
Roger,

   Owning a older (pre-60s) GMC is kind of a "good news, bad news" deal. Bad
news is that some parts can be a challenge to find, like sheet metal and
emblems that differed from Chevrolet, and the motors can be costly to rebuild.
Vendors don't reproduce the parts that are unique to early GMC's. But the good
news is that they are now somewhat rare due to their lower numbers. GMC's were
always considered more of a workhorse truck, the engines were designed as truck
engines and were so beefy that they were used in early hot rods, dirt track
racers and a GMC 270 just missed qualifying for the Indy 500 in 1953!

The GMC shop manuals and parts books are very detailed with excellent
photographs, reflecting the expected heavy service requirements. My Dad always
preferred a GMC over Chevy as a work truck, and most of the citrus grove owners
here in Florida used them for years. Nowadays, a GMC is just a badge-engineered
Chevrolet (except for cool variations like the Syclone and Typhoon) but it
wasn't always that way. Good luck in your search for an old "Jimmie"!

Jack / Winter Park FL
http://stovebolt.com/truck/halton.htm