Re: [oletrucks] 270 crank saga continues...

To: <CLLLSLS@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 270 crank saga continues...
From: "Jack Halton" <safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 11:40:29 -0500
Dustin,

   I recommend you acquire a 6-bolt 270 crank and flywheel. GMC changed to
this design for a very good reason - 4 bolts don't do a very good job of
holding the flywheel on, even on a stock engine.

   Considering your intended application with the turbo, you can expect
increased torsional flexing of the crankshaft. This WILL cause flywheel
bolts and damper pulley to loosen. You will need all the additional
fastening capacity of the 6 bolt flywheel; and even 6 bolts may not be
enough. This is the Achilles heel of any inline engine turned past its
recommended RPM range. Even the later 7-main 292 engines suffer this
problem, and it's worse on the older 4-main design.

   Also consider that the clutch bolt pattern of your old flywheel may limit
you to a clutch that may not be adequate. If you have the 11" 9-bolt clutch
pattern on your flywheel, there is no modern clutch that will fit. This
clutch will not tolerate anything much over 4,000 RPM on a repeated basis. I
had a pressure plate explode on one of these clutches, and it a very scary
experience.

    The 302 that I now have under construction has the crankshaft flywheel
flange turned down to accept a modern V8 flywheel, which provides a huge
variety of modern high performance flywheel and clutch combinations.  I
think you would be well advised to look into something like this, but at a
minimum, you will save yourself much grief by upgrading to the later 270
crank.

JAck / Winter Park FL