Re: [oletrucks] Looking for a Truck

To: glweber@kpmg.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Looking for a Truck
From: Passnb4U@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:54:30 EST
In a message dated 3/28/00 10:10:27 AM Pacific Standard Time,
glweber@kpmg.com writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
>  I am new to this list and have recently begun my search for an ole chevy
>  truck.  I haven't owned an ole truck before, but am attracted to the '54
and
>  first series '55 trucks and have found a few candidates.  I'd like to get a
>  truck that is restoreable to as close to original as possible.
>
>  I'd like some input on what things to look for and what to avoid in
>  selecting a truck.  I consider myself a decent backyard mechanic and could
>  tackle all but the most significant mechanical challenges.  Any suggestions
>  or experiences to share?
>
>  Thanks in advance,
>
>  Geoff

  I'd get under, over and around as much as possible, and look for rust,
that'll be the most costly/time consuming part of the restoration.

  I generally don't pay much attention to whether the drivetrain and
suspension components are a little worn, orcompletely shot, wither way you
will probably end up replacing/fixing it all before you put the truck into
use.

  Find one as complete as possible, with the least amout of cancer you
can....you may pay more for it now, but will most likely save $$ in the long
run.

  Mike