Re: [oletrucks] AD Door Hinges

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] AD Door Hinges
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:01:58 -0700
There's a brief article on this in the tech section of www.chevytrucks.org.
Try that first.  To supplement that, you will need to *very carefully* drill
out the old pin (drill bit should be smaller than pin - you just want to
drill out the center to release the 50 years of stress build-up from the
rust).  If you goof, you'll drill into the hinge itself which is not the end
of the world, but can lead to problems down the road.  I threw away the
brass bushing (these may be needed for severely toasted hinges) and
overdrilled the pin holes to match the new pins (I think it's a 1/32"
overdrill).  Do that to a matched pair (mark with permanent marker so you
don't get them all mixed up), gently tap in the new pin (note it should
swivel on the center section and the outer section is fixed to the pin) and
set, and cut off as necessary (this is hardened steel so a hack saw will
take awhile - I used a die grinder to cut).  Note there are oil holes in the
center section of the hinges.  Use a heavy oil (per owners manual or I used
a heavy spray lithium grease) to get them lubed up so the hinges don't lock
up again.  Oh, and install *good* new springs while you're at it.  The
originals are usually broken or have fallen off.  I used NOS because I
thought the repops were kinda junk.  Good luck!

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100