Re: [oletrucks] acid to remove rust

To: Brad Newman <bkn6@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] acid to remove rust
From: jelerath@us.ibm.com
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 10:09:57 -0600

Is muriatic acid good for cleaning those nasty grease spots off a cement
driveway?

Jon Elerath
jelerath@us.ibm.com

Brad Newman <bkn6@airmail.net>@autox.team.net on 04/14/2000 06:10:05 AM

Please respond to Brad Newman <bkn6@airmail.net>

Sent by:  owner-oletrucks@autox.team.net

To:   Ole Trucks <hollisbsa@hotmail.com>
cc:   oletrucks@autox.team.net

Ole Trucks wrote:

> I can get 5 gal of hydrochloric aka muriatic acid for free.  Is there
> a down
> side in using this to remove the rust on my truck.  I would use it
> prior to
> painting a sealer primer coat.
>
> Options both positive and negative accepted;>
>
> Thanks
> Jim House

> 1959

   This past summer a buddy and I tried this very thing
First, without going into great detail about the TLV's or PEL's, keep in
mind that this is some very nasty stuff, especially right out of the
bottle. I'm a safety engineer/industrial hygienist and cant tell you how
many folks that I have seen with severe bronchial burns, eye burns and
the like from using it (in both open and enclosed areas) or sloshing it
around (mostly swimming pool guys, but there have been others). Be sure
and use an appropriate respirator, safety GOGGLES (not glasses), and at
least elbow length gloves.
What we did was pour a bunch in a tray (outside) and submerse the parts
in it. It will quickly eat away the rust, and will eventually remove the
paint. After removing the part, there will be a film left on the piece
that needs to be removed before priming. The only way that we could find
to effectively do this was with good old fashioned tap water straight
from the hose, which works well but causes the piece to "flash rust"
very quickly. We found that if we used the buddy system and had one guy
washing and wiping the parts down, and the other standing by with the
sprayer full of DP90, it worked well if we were fast enough.
Personally, I wouldn't do it again, except maybe on very small pieces.
Another problem that you will have is disposal of the liquid after you
are finished. It evaporates pretty fast, but you will have some left
over. There are still large dead spots (not even any weeds growing) in
the field where we did our washing/spilled some last summer. Then there
is always the hydrogen embrittlement issue .............
Good luck and BE CAREFUL!
Brad
49 3100