Re: [oletrucks] acid to remove rust

To: "Brad Newman" <bkn6@airmail.net>, "Ole Trucks" <hollisbsa@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] acid to remove rust
From: "G. Simmons" <gls@4link.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 21:34:31 -0700
Brad Newman wrote:

>After removing the part, there will be a film left on the piece
>that needs to be removed before priming. The only way that we could find
>to effectively do this was with good old fashioned tap water straight
>from the hose, which works well but causes the piece to "flash rust"
>very quickly.

I usually remove rust and paint with a sander, using a wire wheel and
sandblaster for tough spots or closed spaces.  As Brad notes, once you get
down to clean steel, rust happens very quickly.  As I get close to being
finished, I always wear surgical gloves for the final sanding and cleanup
because just the moisture in your hands will cause flash rust that you don't
want under the primer.  You get reddish hand prints wherever you touch the
fresh metal.

One of the nice things about sanding is that you can clean up with thinner
or specialty wax and grease remover instead of water.  The thinner won't
cause rusting.

Regards,

Grant S.