[oletrucks] Disk brake problem

To: oletrucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Disk brake problem
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 15:25:27 -0500
I am in the process of installing a front disk brake kit on
my (according to VIN plate) '57 GMC 1/2 ton.

The "frame end" of front drum brake hoses currently on the
truck mount to the frame by passing through the frame and
having a 5/8" nut attach from the inside of the frame.  So
the "frame end" of the hose is threaded on the outside to
accept this nut as well as on the inside to accept the male
metal brake line (3/16 NPT if I remember right) that comes
from the master cylinder.

The replacement hoses sent by my supplier of the
brake kit have only the inside thread.  The kit claims
to be for a 47-59.  When I asked the supplier to
look at one of his regular drum type replacement
hoses for a 57 he says the "frame" end is identical
to the disk brake hose.  However, when he pulled a
drum brake hose for a 55-2 through 56 the "frame"
end of the hose was like the one on my "57".

Have any of you installed disk brakes on the front of
a 55-2/56 with any luck?  If so, did you run into this
problem?  If so, what did you do about it?

Could one of you with 57-59 trucks take a look at
the manner of attaching the front brake hose to the
line coming from the master cylinder?  Is there some
kind of brass fitting inside the frame that somehow
bolts to the frame to prevent the hose from rattling
around?  Please describe the connection from the
front hose to the rest of the system.

As always, thanks for your expertise.