Re: [oletrucks] Show Trophys

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Show Trophys
From: "Deve Krehbiel" <dkrehbiel@kscable.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 09:20:57 -0500
I mean 15 thousand. But that includes some pretty expensive tools I didnt
have. There is about 10K in the truck itself and it isnt even close to
finished yet. Thats what it costs to do it right. I am not so much worried
about the money.. its not as if I am rich or anything.. I am just at a point
where I needed to replace a vehicle and rather than dropping $25K on a new
Chevy truck, I bought tools and restored the 50 (as well as purchased a
running 49) for about $6,000 less. In the end, I will have a truck to drive,
and a truck for its investment potential that will far exceed the price of a
new truck.

Heres the thing.. its whatever makes your boat float. For me, meticulous
attention to detail, exacting specifications, and seeing things through are
really big kicks. Will I drive it when I am through? NO! Will it sit in a
hermetically sealed, dessicant chamber for the rest of its life? Probably.
This particular truck is only one of many projects I intend to do. This one
is special for its perfection, while the next project will be a daily driver
that will be special for its modern ride, higher speed, and smoother looks.
Its all about knowledge and what I dont know but intend to learn.

It will be a trailer queen as much as I hate trailer queens. It will really
belong in a museum with ropes around it to keep people away. Its to be a
pristine example of years gone by for anyone to appreciate. Its not
practical, makes no sense to own one like this because it takes up valuable
space, and its expensive, but someday, someone will come along with a check
large enough to take it home for themselves and the investment will then be
worth it. Since it isnt my grandfathers truck and I have no personal
attachment to it other than the sweat (a little blood even) that went into
it, the investment potential over a period of years is as good as money in
the bank. Right now, these trucks are going for around $20K- $25K frame up
restorations. I wont sell this one for less than 40. Someone will want the
high quality and pay it. Maybe not for another 10 years, but it will go for
much more than I paid. Meanwhile the learning experience is priceless. And
believe me, I am having a real blast doing this! Thats really the measure of
the truck.. how much fun you have rebuilding it. Also.... remains to be seen
yet if I have the talent to learn how to do that good of a job. I am a true
amatuer. But then again, I dont like to lose! :)

Deve
50 3100
49 3600
www.speedprint.com/Deves50/index.html